home Fire Damage Common Flammable Items in Your Home that Can Cause Fire Damage in Downriver Michigan

Common Flammable Items in Your Home that Can Cause Fire Damage in Downriver Michigan

One a daily basis you may walk by as many as 5 different fire hazards that are in your home right now. Many of us never consider some of the common household items which can lead to a fire in our homes. And while some of these items can be safe depending on when they were made, others can lead to fire damage in Downriver Michigan which means you’ll need to hire a contractor to repair the damages. Take a look at our list of common household items which can lead to a fire in your home below.

Common Flammable Items in Your Home that Can Cause Fire Damage in Downriver Michigan

We all live busy lives and that usually means we overlook some of the most simple things in our life. If it’s not front and center for us, and it’s not causing any problems then most of us never think about it. Take for example, your home’s roof. The roof is one of the most important exterior components of your home because if it fails it can lead to mold growth in the home as well as water damage. But we never think about it until there is a problem. The same holds true for many of these household items which can lead to a fire in your home:

Common Flammable Items in Your Home that Can Cause Fire Damage in Downriver Michigan

Clothes Dryer

Many of the clothes dryers of today have special components in them which help to prevent fire. They have a fuse which shuts off the dryer if the dryer gets too hot. It’s great to have this item because a simple malfunction can cause the dryer to overheat and catch fire without it. Older dryers do not have this protection installed. Not only that but if the vent for your dryer becomes clogged or partially clogged the lint may ignite starting a fire. It is recommended that you never leave home with your clothes dryer running as it may cause fire damage to your home.

Stove and Oven

While the clothes dryer certainly gets hot it doesn’t get as hot as the stove or oven in your home. The most common reason homes catch on fire is because someone left the stove or oven on. Some people will also turn on the stove or oven to cook items which take hours and leave home which is not advised. Spilled food or oil can easily ignite and start a fire in your home. Unlike the clothes dryer the stove doesn’t have a backup in place when it gets too hot. Sometimes the circuit breaker can be tripped but usually, the fire and smoke damage has already occurred when most homeowners notice it. Keeping the cooking area clean and remove any food or oil spilled as quickly as possible can help to prevent fires.

Space Heaters

When the weather starts to get cold out many home owners will break out the space heaters. However, space heaters can be really dangerous especially if they are used in smaller rooms. Any clothes items such as curtains that are too close to the heater can catch fire. Also some of the older space heaters don’t have protection in place to turn them off if they are tipped over. Ensure any space heater you use in your home is fully equiped with the proper safety devices such as a tip-over switch.

The Aftermath of a Fire in Your Home

When you have a fire in your home it’s usually not just fire damage that is affecting your home. Even for a small kitchen fire there is usually fire extinguishers that were discharged and if the fire department sprayed the area with water you can also have water damage. So not only will you need to deal with the damage caused by the fire but you’ll likely have smoke damage from the fire, water damage from them putting out the fire, and the initial fire damage to the home. That’s why it is always best to hire a professional restoration company to repair and rebuild your home.

What To Do if You Have Fire Damage in Downriver Michigan

If you’ve had a fire in your home and need fire damage restoration in Downriver Michigan be sure to call the experts at Downriver Restoration Company. They have a rapid response team ready to help you get your home back to normal quickly. Call them today at 734-619-7610 for more information.